Brockway House – Roofing and Fire
A fire consumed a home in Brockway, Pennsylvania early Thursday, April 3, 2008 killing 10 individuals and forcing one of the survivors to jump from the second floor. Eight individuals, including 5 kids, were killed and two were missing and presumed dead. Two other people escaped unharmed. This tragedy is a sobering reminder of how fast and lethal fire may be.
Despite public awareness campaigns and fire security applications, fatal fires still happen. These events, even though tragic, can be turned around to save lives in the future. Via lives lost, we are reminded of how important it is to practice house evacuation and to ensure house fire safety equipment is in operating order.
Bad electrical systems start fires.
Initial and foremost, make sure that your home is fire secure by getting your electrical system inspected by a licensed electrician. Remember, you don’t want to hire your friend who is a Boise roofing contractor to inspect your electrical system. Be sure to spend the extra money to hire a professional electrical contractor that is licensed and insured. You’ll sleep much better at night if you do.
Then, maintain matches and other incendiary devices out of reach from kids. Final but not least, make sure you set up at least one fire extinguisher, smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector on each floor of your home within 15 feet of every bedroom. Also, ensure that a transportable fire escape ladder is placed in each bedroom exactly where the occupant can find it.
Every month, with out warning if possible, practice a fire evacuation drill with the entire family members. Pick a spot in the yard exactly where everybody should meet to make sure everyone escapes safely. You are able to practice hanging the escape ladder on your window sill, but do not deploy or climb down the ladder unless it’s an actual emergency.
Know where your fire extinguishers are located.
Make sure everybody in the home knows exactly where the fire extinguisher is located on every floor and evaluation the directions so everybody is familiar how to use the extinguisher. Once again, by no means discharge a fire extinguisher unless it is becoming utilized on an actual fire.
We pray for the adults and kids who perished in the Pennsylvania fire. It’s a terrible loss for the town, the state and the country. Take the opportunity to reinforce fire safety inside your own home, with your extended family as well as your community. Having a little investment of time and money, you are able to be sure you are ready in case fire strikes.
Preventing fires is always the best solution.
The very best remedy to get a home fire is never let one begin. Remember, like we said above, don’t call your friend the boise roofing contractor to come and inspect your electrical system – always hire an experienced and licensed professional. After all, home fires claim thousands of lives a year and take down more than 20,000 homes. Even houses with smoke damage need a lot cleaning and numerous replacement items. To prevent fire, make sure your stove and oven are clean. Never leave flammable objects like paper wrappers or plastic goods on top of heat sources like toasters and oven eyes.
Unattended kitchen stoves can start fires.
Do not leave meals unattended on the stove. Make sure your oven, stove, microwave and toaster are well ventilated so they will not begin a slow burn of a wall or cabinet. Subsequent, possess a expert electrician check your system for code violations. Numerous occasions electrical wiring is substandard and needs improvement or replacement. Double verify the electric receptacles for heavy users like washers and dryers. Always clean the lint filter in your dryer and each month use a vacuum to clean out any lint that’s stuck inside.
Always watch out for sources of open flames…
When using candles, ensure that flammable materials are far away. Likewise, do not smoke in bed or any other soft surface. Always use an ashtray and if possible, smoke outdoors. Better secure than sorry. Make sure your home has sufficient fire alarms to reach all bedrooms. Buy a fire extinguisher for the kitchen and keep it handy in case of a grease fire. Test fire alarms regularly and alter batteries twice a year. Many people change their batteries each time the time changes. This guarantees that they will function whenever you require them.
Don’t leave space heaters unsupervised.
Space heaters must be placed carefully. A minimum of five feet from something flammable. This really is difficult in some rooms but it is worth it. Do not leave space heaters unattended. If feasible turn them off at bedtime. Or, plug them into a timer to help keep them staying on as well long. They tend to more than heat and burn out their cords. They can also set drapes and papers on fire, in the event you are not cautious.
Your family MUST have an escape plan.
Lastly, figure out an escape plan in case of fire. If your prevention efforts fail, you’ll need an escape plan. This plan can save lives, especially if you practice it with family members, especially children. Decide on a safe place to meet when your family escapes from the burning house. If essential purchase ladders for use from upper floors. If you can afford it, you might consider a sprinkler system comparable to these used in public buildings.
Try this Google Search for more information: roofing contractor Boise
Go back to our home page.